WARNING!!! today’s post is going to consist of me whining about different things in my life and a lot of negativity. Haven’t been feeling very optimistic lately. I have been dealing with a serious case of mental block. It feels like I have zero control over it and it’s holding me back. I can’t find a way to complete a task and for some reason that’s driving me insane.
Today I had planned to go out and run a hard 8-mile run with a local running group. But instead I decided to listen to the little voice of negativity in my head and didn’t go hard. Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoyed the run. I got to talk to some of the guys in the group and had a pretty good time, but the problem is that my goal for the day was to run hard and see where I’m at. It felt like I wasted a workout.
I feel like running should be helping me release stress and with all the other positive things people say running helps with. But in reality that’s not the way things are going. Running sucks! and is making me feel miserable. I guess I forgot how hard I have to work and how long it takes to get faster. When I got back to it I came with the wrong mentality. I wasn’t expecting it to take me this long to gain some of the speed/endurance I once had. I’m not even close to being in shape and I’m already feeling burned out. I know, I know…I need to stop being a pussy about it. just do the work and wait for the results to come.
Next thing I want to whine about is music. I was super pumped to see Young the Giant for the first time ever. Well, I was disappointed with their performance. They were out of sync. At some points it sounded like they never played together before. Usually that happens when members are drunk/high or haven’t played together very much. That wasn’t their case, they didn’t look drunk or high and they have been playing together for awhile so I don’t know what happened there. Maybe I should consume way more alcohol next time… In a positive note I will be watching The Smashing Pumpkins tonight and I can’t wait for them to play some real music.
The next thing in the list: no other than this blog. I tried posting something the last two days and had no luck. I knew what I wanted to write about but couldn’t put it together. I know I don’t have to update it everyday but nothing pisses me off more than not being able to type what I have on mind. It seems like I have it all figured out and then POW!! its all gone.
Well, have an amazing weekend and don’t let my negativity rub off on you.
I have been looking for a mofo crazy enough to be my running buddy for almost two months without luck. I don’t even have high standards. I don’t care if he/she is fast or slow as long as he/she can cover the distance. Actually, now that I think about it, I do have a list of qualities a running buddy should have.
What do I look for when trying to find a running buddy? Well, I look at a lot of things..
1. Numero uno is the most important one. He/she has to be crazy enough to listen to me talk during the entire run. I’m not kidding about this one. I can and will talk the whole way. I sometimes listen but most of the times I am the one doing most of the talking.
2. My running buddy has to be comfortable with me burping and occasionally farting. My body likes to get rid of gas when I run. I guess that’s a normal thing every runner goes through. The only difference is that I’m a strong believer of: “Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain. That’s where shitty ideas come from…” so I release everything.
3. He/she has to be comfortable to call me out when I occasionally change the pace. I don’t know why I do it. Something inside me triggers and I start running a little faster than what we are supposed be running. I do appreciate it when someone calls me out on it right away. It saves me from feeling like crap a mile or two later. Jacob is pretty good at calling me out.
4. Headphones? You better not even think about it. I would round kick the crap out you. I don’t understand why people do that. I find it sad when I see a group of people running and instead of having a conversation they are listening to whatever crap is coming from their headphones.
5. He/she better have a sense of humor. I’m pretty immature and most of the times I say whatever is on my mind. If you are easily offended there is a chance we won’t work out. If you trip and fall expect me to laugh about it while giving you a hand up. Pretty much be able to laugh at yourself and don’t get butt hurt when something silly happens.
6. Be positive. Running is hard enough so don’t bring your negativity. Be positive and be happy with your progress. Even if you trained all year long and only got a couple of seconds faster. Progress is progress…
7. This one is pretty important. Be on time. If for some reason you are not going to make try to let me know in advance so I don’t waste my time waiting for you to show up. Something that rustles my jimmies is when I don’t get my run done in the morning because we are supposed to run later in the evening and the mofo cancels at the last minute. It gets me every freaking time.
8. Don’t race me. We are supposed to be running together not racing each other. Nothing kills a workout more than someone who always wants to be one step ahead. It freaking blows my mind and probably will earn you a whack behind the head (notsrs).
I can’t think about more qualities so I’ll end it here. Anyone wants to be my running buddy?
I originally tried to come up with one hundred facts but that didn’t go the way I planed. It is harder than it looks.
1. I smile all of the time.
2. I hate driving around town. All of the going and stopping makes me feel anxious.
3. I love driving long distances.
4. I’m incredible optimistic about what the future holds.
5. I like reading inspirational novels. (
damn you Lance I really liked your book)
6. I have the worst table manners ever. I use my hands instead of silverware a lot of the time.
7. I got burned when I was young buck learning how to walk. As a result I have the coolest scars on my arms.
8. I like to make up stories when people ask me what happened to my arms. I have so many stories going around that sometimes even I get confused.
9. I am an asshole. An ex gf once called me a narcissistic asshole during an argument. I was confused why she was describing me so I took it as a compliment.
10. I plan to become a millionaire. Who doesn’t…right?
11. Not a big fan of technology. I’m still trying to understand why people buy every new gadget that comes out.
12. I chew my nails. Especially when I’m watching games that I care about.
13. I broke both of my knees jumping from the roof of the house when I was eleven.
14. I brush my teeth in the shower.
15. I can’t sleep with socks on and find people who sleep with socks on disgusting.
16. I always have to have two or more conversations going on at the same time.
17. I love big crowds of people.
18. I don’t get mad easily, I just laugh it off.
19. I don’t like wearing shorts. I’m that guy who wears pants when is 110+ outside.
20. Dark Ale and Amber Ale are my beers of choice. But free beer is free beer lol 🙂
21. I prefer my beer warm.
22. I don’t like clowns. My sister used to force me watch Pennywise when I was younger and for some reason the fear never went away.
23. I never wear flip-flops unless I’m wearing a bathing suit.
24. This is my favorite number.
25. I rarely clean my room but when I do…I don’t.
26. I once sharted my pants while on a first date. She later became my gf.
27. I am not a picky eater.
28. I am a Jack of all trades and a master of none.
29. I started getting grey hairs when I was twenty four . Now they are all over the place.
30. I like buying books from thrift stores. They have some good books for cheap.
31. My right pinky finger is shorter than the left one.
32. I have been in college since I was eighteen and I still don’t know my student ID number.
33. I don’t have a favorite color.
34. Las Vegas is my home and I love everything about it including the heat.
35. I don’t apologize but when I do, I mean it.
36. I have never lost a fight.
37. I considered myself the worst writer in WordPress.
38. Do you even grammar? What the fuck is grammar? How does one acquire grammar? 😀
39. I’m usually always late.
40. I hate paying for overpriced food. Main reason why I don’t like going to food festivals.
41. I only wear black or
caki? khaki color jeans. Dark blue makes an appearance every once in awhile.
42. I love swimming in water bodies. I hate swimming in pools.
43. I can’t remember the last time I cried.
44. I don’t like eating at McDonalds but when I do I order form the dollar menu.
45. I used to think that Japandroids were the best band in the universe. I still listen to them though….no shame!
46. My no filter personality usually gets me in trouble with the ladies.
I can’t figure out how to use photoshop. I know the lyrics to Elvis “Viva Las Vegas” by heart.
49. I don’t care about fashion, if I like it I wear it.
50. I hate talking about running with non runners.
51. Hockey is my favorite sport to watch followed by football and college basketball.
52. I hate riots. I don’t understand why people enjoy acting like animals destroying and stealing everything they can get their hands on. There are different ways to demonstrate your support.
53. Punk music is my cup of tea.
54. I got drunk for the first time when I was twelve.
55. I broke my head open the night I first got drunk.
56. My mother spanked me for the first time in my life the day after.
57. I refuse to get my teeth whitened.
58. I feel like I know the authors of my favorite blogs in real life.
59. Z from “I Prefer Deep Blues and Sea Foam Greens” is my favorite blogger. I like her writing style and how she always manages to make things like “math” funny. Thanks to her I feel self conscious when I enter through the exit door at the grocery store.
60. I can’t figure out how to use photoshop.
61. Spent five hours trying to make a logo for my blog on photoshop. I’m still wondering where do I get my five hours back?
62. Coffee is my drink of choice nowadays.
63. These are my most favorite pictures from mexico. This one pretty much sums the whole trip up. Drinks and smiles all the way until the end.
64. My mother thinks I’m an alcoholic because of my excessive drinking in Mexico. Can’t say no to all you can drink. 😀
65. I just realized that I forgot to post about the Mexico trip.
66. I am very easily distracted.
67. I can’t come up with one hundred facts so I’m going to change the title of this post.
It’s been awhile since the last time I visited WordPress. Many things have happened since the last post. The school semester ended about two weeks ago and I couldn’t be happier about it. Don’t get me wrong, I love school but after all these years I can’t wait for it to be over. I feel like every semester keeps getting longer and longer…
I also started training for The Zion Half Marathon with Jeremy (Coach from LVR). I’m glad that I decided to get back to it. Its been a long time since the last time I actually enjoyed going out for a run and I couldn’t be happier. Having a training program, a cool group of people to run with and the best coffee in town has made running easier and enjoyable. Never thought I would be the kind of person who would be up at 5:00 a.m. just to go running. That goes to show how things change as we get older. Here is a picture of Jacob and I after a run with a local running group. I love the route they have, a little challenging at the moment but it should be a piece of cake soon. Had an amazing Thanksgiving with the family. Nothing like having the whole family together to enjoy a delicious meal. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday because of the family aspect of the holiday and we also do secret Santa on that day 🙂 We all forgot about it this year. I don’t know how it happened but it did 😦
I have been working on my thesis more than I thought I would. The amount of research required to acquire the knowledge to write it is more than I bargain for. My goal is to get it done by the end of January so I can have someone look at it before I turn it in. I like the progress so far and I hope I don’t run out things to write about anytime soon 🙂 I also been noticing tremendous progress in my mediation. Time is one of the reasons I say that. When I first started I couldn’t do five minutes. As of now I can do over thirty minutes easily. Times fly when I’m mediating and I don’t think much about it anymore.
Well, I’m going to read some of my favorite blogs to see what I missed. Have an amazing night!
I wrote this not long ago when I began taking running a little more serious.
A hobby jogger is someone who wants to be a runner but can’t stick to it. They lack the commitment to get up and run every day. They run sporadically, few miles a day and take days, weeks or even months off. They are always the ones with the latest shoes, expensive running watch and usually think that finishing a 5k, 10k or a marathon is an accomplishment. They spend more time dressing up for a race than training for it. When they are running you can usually tell just by looking at their face that they are about to die during an easy run.
I started running back when I was in high school. I didn’t care much about performance or anything related to being a good runner. I just wanted to chill with my friends. Running was a great way to do that. We would go on runs and talk about whatever it was that we talked back in the day. It wasn’t until junior year when my best friend Chase and I started taking it serious. As a result we would go running more and more. Every day after school we would go home and got ready to run. It was the same routine every day. We would put on shorts, running shoes and hit the road. Chase was so committed to it, he was always there on time and ready to go. We never missed a day. There were times that I would be sleeping on a Saturday morning and the alarm would go off and I would unplug it and went back to sleep. That never worked, he always found a way to get my lazy butt up to go running. We trained for months and we always had a good time. Track season came around and we both noticed a lot of improvement. That’s when both of us made the switch from being hobby joggers to “runners”.
I kept running for years after that. Five years ago I got tired of it and quit running. During that time I began climbing the rankings of hobby joggers. I don’t really have any excuses for it other than I got tired of it and lost the motivation and commitment to run. As you might remember I joined a running group about three months ago. That marked the day I officially became a hobby jogger. I’m not your typical hobby jogger. I don’t buy the latest shoes or watch… Running taught me to be a cheap bastard. I always buy the cheapest things when it comes to anything running related. That’s probably another reason why I’m never going to run a big city marathon. Paying that kind of money to run a marathon should be a capital offense. Now I take way too many days off. I probably only run a total of five or six days a month. Now that I’m twenty pounds heavier and full of bad habits I’m finding it hard to find the motivation to put my running shoes on every morning. In the meantime I’m enjoying being a hobby jogger and hopefully is only temporally because it is a little embarrassing.
My current goal is to get back to running every day. I want to build my endurance and be able to wake up in the morning and put on my shoes without complaining about it. It is going to take a lot of time to get motivated again, Luckily for me I have plenty of time to get my running situation together. Are you a hobby jogger or a runner?
I have officially made another decision that I’m going to regret. Jose (guy from the running group) was talking about The Zion Half Marathon Wednesday after our run and inspired me to look in to it. I watched a couple of youtube videos and was amazed about the views from the course and the vibe. After watching the video from the 2013 edition I made my mind and pulled my debit card and used the little shekels I had and signed up for it. I hate spending my shekels on overpriced races but this one seems to be worth it.
The race is on March 14th. Hopefully I can get in shape for the race because knowing me I’m going to try to go out with the leaders. That would be an okay idea if I was in shape, but the reality is that I haven’t raced in a long time and running one or two times a week is not helping either. I know for a fact that I will be hating myself at the start line. What kind of fool pays to run and put their body through uncomfortable pain? Well, I will be that fool on March 14th. I should start taking running a little more serious or pay the price on race day….
I would like to be friends with these guys.
There are a few things I like about the first day of school. Football season starts on the same week as school does. But this year all of my marbles are with my Colts. There is nothing I love more than waking up Saturday and Sunday mornings and watch football. Every year I’m optimistic that we are going to do well and win a championship. Sadly for me that hasn’t happened in a long time. After week two I usually know what kind of season we are going to have. So I adjust my expectations and pray that we can at least finish with a positive record. At the end it doesn’t really matter, because I know that our time to raise a championship is coming and that year is here. By the time the season is over I’m going to drink more than what I drank during the whole week in Mexico in one day. That is the only appropriate way to celebrate something that has evaded us for a loooong time. Luck is not only bringing us luck this year, he is also bringing the Colts Nation a National Championship. It sucks that UNLV is not able to play post season games this year because I really thought this was our year as well…
The thing I like the most is that college basketball season is only three months away. I live and die for the Runnin’ Rebels of UNLV. Sadly last year we didn’t do as good as we had expected. There is not much we can do when injuries pays the whole team a visit. The team we have right now doesn’t look as good on paper, but I expect them to make it to the dance this year. Making it to the dance means a lot to me. Every year we make it to the dance, my best friend and I go watch the Rebels play. It doesn’t matter where the game is at, we are definitely going. Last time was in San Jose. Sadly for us we always get eliminated early in the tournament, but that doesn’t stop us from going. The last time the Rebels won a championship was when I was a kid. Here is a picture of us driving a convertible in San Jose.
I would like to say that I look forward to going to class but it would be a huge lie. I have been going to school all of my adult life and it got to the point where I just can’t wait to get it over with. I still enjoy meeting new friends and all of the activities that come with being a college student. I just wish I only had one class a day 😀
As some of you guys know, I went to Cancun for the last six days. I had a great time. I did a ton of things, some good and some bad. I guess I can’t help to stay out of trouble. Visited a bunch of bars, restaurants, caves, beach and many other places. I’m pretty exhausted right now so I’m going to post some pictures and tell you more about it after I take the longest nap I can possible take. Here is a picture I took at Chichen Itza (bucket list location). I have a lot of pictures 🙂 It always feels good to be back in Las Vegas but I can’t wait for the next adventure.
I live about three miles away from UNLV (school). Since I was a little lazy this morning and didn’t wake up early to do my run, I drove to school one hour earlier than usual so I could get it over with. I get to the UNLV gym, I put my clean clothes in the locker room, and put my running clothes on. I was planing to do just an easy run. I was going to run to the park that is right next to my house and then back to UNLV. About six miles total. I went out and right away realized that it was way hot out. I didn’t think much about it and kept going, I got to the park and ran through the water park. The water park was full of kids, but I still went ahead and joined the fun and got as wet as possible, before heading right back. My clothes were nice and wet. About a mile away from school I started to feel dizzy and nauseous. I pushed through it and got back to the gym. I felt like I was going to collapse on the floor. I walked to the locker room and grabbed my shampoo and towel. I jumped in the shower and drank some of the water and after a couple of minutes I started to feel a little normal again. I probably almost got a heat struck but I was lucky enough that it happened close to the gym. Now I’m sitting on this couch drinking a Gatorade, waiting to feel 100% before I go outside again. Live to blog another day!